SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baybrat_gw

off-topic, but you're a captive audience

baybrat
20 years ago

Hi, all. Enjoying all the posts. Just wanted to impart a few tips for living with rheumatoid and osteo arthritis, fibromyalgia, spondilytis and / or degenerative disc disease. These aren't for gardening per se, but could be adapted if you've that specific need. They are all adaptions and you probably already do them, but I went for a long time without snapping to some of them and so if it helps anyone not repeat my time lag, it's worth it.

Laundy baskets: who looks forward to lugging that thing? I finally figured out NOT to buy the short ones. Buy the tall ones and then tie a shoe lace on one side. Then drag it. OMIGOSH, that one single act saves my neck and lower back every time. I found some tall round plastic ones with large open weaves all around at the dollar store. They have tops, too, which I use to carry my clean small folded socks and undies back to the bedroom drawers.

Washer and dryer clothes removal: I bought a Gopher, and it comes in mighty handy (for more than this). But a simple pair of large stainless ice tongs will help immensely, too. I have a front loading washer, and barely have to bend over much to get the last stray socks and undies, etc.

Door Handles: switch out to those French-style handles instead of knobs. Worth the investment. No hand cramps, and elbows can open the door if hands are full or not cooperating.

Rubber garden gloves: I use my rubber-coated gloves I bought at A.M. Leonard's website for $6.99 for everything. The rubber coating provides a wonderful helper grip.

Ceiling fan pulls: make them as long as you need. It's amazing how often we touch these and how we put up with short ones, especially if you have a tall hubby who doesn't understand life from a shorter point of view. Buy some cheap chain and lengthen them. Also, find a round pull for the light chain and a paddle, bat or stick shape pull for the fan chain. If you make all your fans the same as to which pull controls which function (round for light bulb, stick shape for fan), you can see which is which as you approach the fan and then not have to crook that neck painfully upward to adjust it. Just feel to pull.

Tools (garden or otherwise): drill holes in everything that can be hung and tie a piece of leather or cording through it and hang everything you can as close to eye level as possible, on walls, fences, etc. Yourstuff is in view and in easier reach. They'll get used more and you know what you have better.

Please excuse this diversion, but more energy saved from everyday "life" leaves more energy to garden! Carry on, and add your suggests. I know I could use 'em!

baybrat the "degenerate" cripple -- thankful for every "good" day I get and happy it's not worse :))))

Comments (10)