SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

What do we do with our old rose catalogs?

anntn6b
12 years ago

Easy answer: don't throw them away.

Harder answer: Store them somewhere so that maybe, in the future, they'll be scanned and shared.

Reasoning: I went to the National Agriculture Library in Beltsville, MD, last fall to search their rose (and other) catalogs in special collections. They had a lot fewer than I expected them to. It was a "white cotton gloves", no flashs on my camera, pencils only experience. But when I saw how little had survived the 1800s I could appreciate their cautious approach. Maybe a percent of all the catalogs that were published in 1900 still exist there. So often there was a mention of other sellers in one catalog, but that seller had vanished. (Example: the Alabama Rose Company)

I am going to box my catalogs up.

I wouldn't give them to a library just now. I'm not sure if some libraries are going to continue to exist... I see more and more scientific periodicals pre-internet being placed in storage (including the ones that are not on line). Storage is relatively cheap. Every university library storage I've visited (three so far), Larry and I have been the only folks there using their musty olde books.

Ideas? anyone?

Comments (10)