SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickelsmumz8

Semi-OT -- killing blackberry and other stuff

14 years ago

I live next to a relatively ungroomed open space and I am fighting invasion on two of my property borders. My worst two problems are blackberry, which is, like, in the air here (Oregon), and a tree which I think is a cottonwood, though I am not certain which one. (Probably black poplar.) It spreads by root runners; I had someone dig out a cluster that keeps coming up in the middle of my yard, but it's back.

What are my options for getting rid of these invaders? Sheer brute force is not really an option... I can't do the digging myself nor afford to have it done. If the answer is "herbicides," what are the options? If I apply herbicide to the cottonwood, will it back up all the way through the root system to whatever existing tree spawned the little bastards? I don't want to kill the parent since that is on (most likely) city property and is probably holding up a riparian slope.

I do not own a single container of herbicide and the whole idea gives me the willies, but if I don't do something now, my yard is going to revert to secondary succession forest.

Comments (11)