SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob64_gw

Garlic Mustard Experiments

bob64
16 years ago

Every spring and summer I have a lot of mature garlic mustard to get rid of and am not supposed to put it in the dumpster so I typically have to deal with it on site.

I have tried a few things including: open air piles, under clear plastic, in a black store-bought (Costco) bin with a lid, in a cylindrical plastic bin that you unroll and stand up with no top and no bottom but with air holes all around the sides (sold by local extension agent), one pile on ground but underneath cardboard, and one pile in a pit that is covered by an old piece of outdoor carpet.

The pile under the clear plastic is broken up now in little bits like shredded straw but that might be due to a backhoe having inadverently driven over it a few times - that experiment probably needs to be done again. The piles under cardboard and the carpet are breaking down slowly but faster than the matter in the various kinds of bins. The open air piles seem to have withered away a lot - like they have crumbled to dust to a significant extent. The piles in the bins are decomposing the slowest. The bin with the lid does not get watered much but does get a little watering and is in shade. There are grass clippings on top of the GM in the closed bin that are at least a month or two old and still look green.

So the open air piles work o.k. but I would prefer to keep the dormant seed covered and, thus, the cardboard and carpet piles seem to be my best bet now. I will not be using the remains for soil enrichment, this is just "hazardous waste" disposal. I also discovered that the dried out garlic mustard stalks are very burnable. When first pulled the garlic mustard looks very green but quickly turns to something that looks like straw.

Hot composting is probably not ever going to be a realistic option for me. This is an almost purely weekend activity so I have limited time to do a lot on the grounds I am trying to restore.

Do you think the key to accelerating the decomp would be to keep up the moisture level, to add other materials, to add nitrogen as the green becomes brown, something else, or some combination of these?

Comments (3)