SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amcorrigan_gw

rats/flies/smell

amcorrigan
16 years ago

My outdoor composter worked beautifully for almost 15 years when two years ago rats moved into the neighbourhood. They had a small condo under the shed in my neighbour's yard and when the weather was good they dined at her bird feeder. When the weather was inclement, they visited my compost bin. We both stopped using our bins and we got out the poison and killed a few the first year. All looked good last summer until late in the year when it was clear that they were back.

So, I tried a worm bin. Worked pretty well until it got a terrible fly infestation and it had to go outside into the compost where the worms may or may not be making friends with the rats.

My next try was the Nature Mill indoor composter which claims to be odour free, fast, and easy. It was an expensive option but I thought it would allow me to use the indoor bin for kitchen waste and the outdoor bin for yard waste and things like coffee grounds. Unfortunately, it smells really bad and although it is in the cold room under the porch, it is horrible. I have tried everything that they suggest on their web site and have sent messages to them asking for help but response is slow. The actual solid stuff is okay, but the liquid by-product is something else.

Any help with the basic problem or direction to a different would be much appreciated. I just hate sending my kitchen scraps to the city compost and feeding a family of rats isn't in the cards either.

Thanks,

AM

Comments (14)