SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Does the soil change the scent?

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I've been checking on the best fragrant roses for cut flowers, and find opinions vary according to regions.

Gentle Hermione is described by an Italian as Old Rose with fruity essence. Its scent is also favored by the English. We Americans hate it, describing it as "barnyard", and "stinky breadth baby poop."

I ordered Pat Austin this summer, the nursery fertilized it with Daniels liquid fertilizer, resulting in a giant 4" bloom. It reeked like stinky tobacco. A few days later, the scent mellowed to tea. I fertilized it with horse manure. Later Pat Austin blooms were yummy floral and fruit.

One year I used chemical fertilizer on my herb garden. It was a disaster. All the scents were pungent, esp. cilantro, sage, and parsley. I couldn't use any.

The sweetest and best tasting vegetables were grown on my Mom's garden in Michigan. Her land used to be a chicken farm, and the farmer applied yearly cow manure. After 20 years she downsized her garden and used chemical fertilizer, and I was disappointed with the decline in taste and sweetness.

Does the soil change the scent? And does what you use for fertilizer also change the scent and flavor? Thanks for your input, "Straw".

Comments (9)