SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Planting new roses/info on planted roses

canadianplant
10 years ago

In the last 4 or 5 years I have been landscaping my yard. Most of it is dedicated to fruit, but I use beneficials, like roses to attract insects.

I have tried many kinds, and the one I have had the longest is "the hunter". Strong grower, but the colour is a bit drab. Seems a bit susceptable to black spot, although we had a cool wet spring. Last year I planted what I thought was a "Red rugosa", but I noticed after looking at the tag, there is another label "Ramblin red". It is indeed the ramblin red. I thought I would try my luck with "Peace", although since it is a hybrid tea, I am not holding my breath.

That leads me to my 2 new plants. I found "Hope for humanity" and "blanc double de courbet". I am about 90% sure I know someone growing the courbet. The plant is about 6 feet tall and 5 feet across, and the smell is intense. It is said this is a shade tolerant rose as well?

I am wondering if anyone here is growing any of the above roses and can give me any information.

Also, I am finding conflicting reports of how tall "hope for humanity" grows. It seems the height is determined by the amount of dieback it gets, or how harsh you prune it? The tag and some places say 3- 4 feet, ive read as high as 6 or 7 feet.

Comments (4)