SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Roses and Four O'clocks

12 years ago

When I first discovered four o'clocks, it was because some were blooming along the sidewalk, with no care, no water, etc. I was on a walk, so I grabbed some and walked 2 more blocks to our local nursery, and asked what they were. The lady put up her nose and said "Oh, those are just weeds"! Since some of my favorite garden flowers have been described that way to me, I kept my eye out for them, and collected seed in the Fall.

I now have them growing in my garden among the roses. I have white, yellow, dark pink, a darker magenta, light pink, and also 2 striped ones - yellow with dark pink stripes, and white with medium pink stripes. I love them. They make large tubers under the ground. They disappear entirely in the Fall, but come back every Spring. You can also grow them from seed, which they are generous with.

They start blooming in my garden in mid-Summer (usually June, July this year), and continue for months. Here are some pics of them growing with the roses in my not neat, not controlled, not well tended garden:

Here are a bunch by themselves:

{{gwi:304293}}

Here are some with Le Vesuve in the background:

{{gwi:303517}}

Here are some with Rose Delizy:

{{gwi:304294}}

Here are some under Graham Thomas (the sunflowers are volunteers form the bird feeder):

{{gwi:304295}}

I know some folks like to have neat & tidy gardens, but not me - I like these "weeds"!

Jackie

Comments (13)