SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

the same rose....over and over

User
12 years ago

I always considered myself to be an adventurous gardener - there are many, many fads and whims I have indulged myself with - too tedious to go into detail here (although I know I have bored on at length in the past). I think nothing of trying and tossing plants, schemes, even entire gardens....but I keep buying the same rose. I realise that there is a narrow little pallette of roses I continually select. White, pale pinks, apricots, semi-doubles and singles. My major variation occurs with rose species...but again, I am moved by simple five-ppetalled shapes, with stamens and interesting foliage or heps. Not one red, apart from a Moyessii. Whole groups dismissed out of hand (aarrgh, damask, centifolia). At first, I wondered if rose replant syndrome was a factor in my conservative choices - if you get the wrong rose, here in the UK, you are often stuck with it as it is often disastrous to plant a new rose in place of an old one as the soil developes 'rose sickness'. Well, I have loads of space at my allotment so nope, that's not it. Then, because I am a cheapskate, was it just meaness, avoiding taking a �10 risk? Pah, I have spent thousands of pounds on plants and have absolutely NO problem justifying this.Even though I have cracked cuttings.....they are all the bloody same too. So, I am forced to conclude that, far from being innovative and creative, despite the sterling suggestions and advice from this very forum, I am in fact, a completely boring (stubborn and opinionated)old git.

Comments (9)