SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Feeding bands and 1 gal in summer

kittymoonbeam
11 years ago

Some of my roses look so hungry right now. I have been watering and watering due to the heat and I feel like the roses have nothing left in the pots to grow on. Last year I fed some fish emulsion to bands and two days later a heat wave came and fried the foliage. Luckily nothing died but some of the bands dropped all the leaves. I put them in the shade and was so angry with myself for causing it. Slowly they grew new leaves again.

A few weeks ago it was brutally hot and I put the smaller roses under a tree. Then we had some blessed weather that consisted of overcast mornings with moist coastal air followed by cool and breezy afternoons in the high 70s and low 80s. The roses got excited and began growing. I got some outstanding blooms on big established roses. Now the temps are back to high 80s and 90s again. The new foliage is light and I really want to feed them but I'm afraid to burn the new leaves.

I was thinking of just repotting with newer soil but would this bother the roots too much and cause trouble? They don't look overgrown for the pots. I was going to plant the 1 gal. in fall right into the ground.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert