SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_tosca

Best time to repot a small rose

organic_tosca
16 years ago

I have not really grown roses, though I love them, but I have a small rose plant in a pot that I rescued from a terrible, dark location winter before this last one. There was not much left of the root ball when I dug it up, because someone else had dug up most of it and dumped it. But it has been growing very nicely in its pot. It only had one or two blooms this spring, but they were incredibly beautiful. I believe that it is going to need repotting into a bigger pot before too long, and I can't seem to find any information on the best time of year to do this. I thought perhaps this Fall, but I don't really know. If winter is best, I can do it then. I live in Central California, and although we had a month of freezing temps last winter, that is very unusual. Nonetheless, all the roses do go dormant, at least they lose their leaves. I don't really want to do it until the cooler weather, as it can get really, really hot here in August and September. Any advice as to the optimal time of year will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Laura

Comments (3)