SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jewelie6

My crazy, exhausting day all because of RRD

jewelie6
11 years ago

Actually, from the horror stories I have been reading, I really am lucky that I caught the suspected RRD early ...just needed to note that before I begin a rant.

Last night, after I had a wonderful day getting things done in the garden, I was inspecting my roses. I noticed some abnormal red, thorny growth at the top of a 2 year old Dick Clark. There were about two stems 3 or so inches in length with deformed buds and leaves. Beet red/pink growth. I thought to myself "better watch this."

I don't know what happened this morning, but I convinced myself that I needed to dispose of the rose TODAY. ($*!*$!!!) Nevermind that I have a day job to do....(good thing I have a flexible schedule, I guess.) I couldn't get the RRD out of my head so I frantically read up on the issue at my desk. I scoured the forum, the net, Ann's website. I read about the possibility of special miticide for the special evil mites that could be sprayed around the surrounding roses. So, I went on a mid-morning hunt to each local nursery and Lowe's, only to discover that I couldn't find what I needed anyway.

I encountered one troublesome nursery worker, who convinced me that I was overreacting, even though he knows nothing about RRD, and didn't seem to be able to differentiate between spider mites and any other mites. He was quite haughty about it. That made me angry.

I got home for lunch and cut off all the canes to the graft and bagged. Now, the deceased is sitting in my garage waiting for the trash. When I got home, I dug up the roots and some of the surrounding dirt. This got bagged as well. All tools used were disinfected.

Now, I am paranoid generally about my roses. What a day. Is it normal to act this crazy? Can someone offer me words of encouragement. The funny thing is, after quick action, I feel strangely guilty.

Sorry for unloading on everyone.

Comments (6)