SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maevesgarden

Questions about OGRs and Austins in 6b/7a

maevesgarden
13 years ago

Hi all,

I'll be planting several roses in my small Philadelphia yard next spring as I try to establish my garden, which is less than a year old. I would like to try a couple of Gallicas, specifically Rosa Mundi and Rosa Gallica Officianalis. My back yard is in an open northeastern exposure which gets full sun most of the day. The floribundas, polyanthas, and one HT I planted this past spring have done well. I am new to gardening in this zone, so I'd appreciate any feedback on how Gallicas perform here. Is there anything special I should know? Are those of you in this zone successful with Gallicas?

I'd also like to try an Austin or two...or three...in another section of the same backyard. Since the garden is rather diminutive I'm looking for Austins which stay on the small side so they don't overwhelm the space. I'm considering Molineux and Jude the Obscure- are there others you can recommend? I have several pinks and whites already, so I'd like some yellows.

Also, my front yard is a challenge. It is a full southwestern exposure but canopied by large street sycamores

late spring through fall. From around October through early April it is full sun. I guess I would characterize it as dappled shade during most of the growing season. Would hybrid musks stand a chance in this front area? I am going a little rose crazy so if there's any possibility I can plant in the front yard as well, I would love to.

Thanks for your patience with this long post, and in advance for your help.

-Maeve

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting