SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Work of fiction features extraordinary gardens

dublinbay z6 (KS)
15 years ago

Any novel readers on this forum? I just finished a wonderful novel by the Native American writer Leslie Marmon Silko--called Gardens in the Dunes. It's a moving story about two Native American girls separated (by the White government) from their family/tribal/geographical roots during the late-nineteenth century and includes fascinating historical events such as details about the Ghost Dance religion. What is most amazing is the very detailed descriptions of different types of gardens around the globe--how gardening is accomplished in the American southwest desert, a Victorian/English garden created (at great expense) by a rich white east-coast woman, several kinds of "stone gardens" in the U.S. and England, a stupendous black gladiolus garden, ancient restored gardens in Italy--plus all sorts of details about seed and plant collecting/breeding in the 19th century on several continents, most notably hunting/collecting rare orchids in South America--and the list goes on. Throw in some garden goddess mythology also, all while following the travels/searches of the Indian girls trying to return to their native "gardens in the dunes" in the American Southwest.

OK--not exactly rose-related, but there are some 19th century rose-growing practices mixed in there too--and I couldn't think where else to post about this wonderful novel that should appeal to any gardener with an historical/mythological/eco-feminist bent.

Do any of you have a favorite book related to roses or gardening that goes beyond the standard expert's encyclopedia? I'd love to hear about your favorites. Another gardener just recommended to me a recent Barbara Kingsolver book the other day, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Happy garden-reading,

Kate

Comments (4)