SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

azalea and privet question

v1rt
15 years ago

Good evening folks. I went to a nursery today. Can't believe that they were open today. They told me that they're open whole year. :)

I can't believe the prices I saw. So, I bought 3 cascase azaleas and 3 vicary golden privet. They told me that if it doesn't make it, I can return it and get a full refund. I'll take pictures tomorrow. Oh, I got it for $5 each.

For the azaleas, it says Full sun - Partial shade. Can I plant it in a full sun area?

Also, I was thinking of putting the vicary golden privet behind these 3 azaleas. Do you think that's a good positioning for them?

And am I correct that if I am able to dig the soil, go ahead and plant them? Or should I just leave all 3 in garage then plant them in spring?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

If the soil isn't frozen this is a great time to transplant shrubs and trees. I wouldn't put azaleas in full sun--afternoon shade would be preferable--and of course, you need acid soil.

I won't comment on the privet.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

My privet experience is growing plants near it does not work. Privet roots are hungry and will be very close to the surface, starving any other plants. Al

• Related Discussions

Question about privet cuttings

Q

Comments (1)
    We are now at the end of the "growing season" for this plant. I would now prepare them overwintering & next spring they will take off & produce a plant you will be proud of.....
    ...See More

Privet propagation question

Q

Comments (10)
    convert to the latin name ... take such to google and add the word PROPAGATION ... and gain some base knowledge ... so we can have a discussion about the finer points you might not understand. .. in the mean time.. look at this post and try to begin to understand the process of rooting things ... and i am not saying his setup is for you plants ... but that it MIGHT be a bit more than sticking some sticks in some dirt ... http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3124999/propagating-dawn-redwood-from-cuttings?n=13 on most things.. timing is imperative... and so is the choice of the wood used ... and most of the time it isnt this years fresh green growth.. which tends to rot.. before it roots ... many things are rooted over winter... for potting up in spring ... then about ready for fall planting ... but then.. maybe this is the exception to the usual rules ... where are you in z5 ... ken
    ...See More

Question about Azaleas

Q

Comments (1)
    I wouldn't. Just include a hole lot of ground up leaves in the mix and then mulch heavily with the same. Even when I was a kid we had azaleas, and the key has always been lots and lots of leaves.
    ...See More

Florist azalea question re: setting buds

Q

Comments (2)
    Any buds formed will be clearly visible. There are undoubtably photos available online which show exactly what they look like. If the azalea is in its original container, it would benefit from replanting in a slightly larger pot. Controlled release fertilizer is a good option. It can be added at repotting. When you bring it inside, be sure to keep the humidity up by frequent misting, placing it above a tray of water, etc. The adjustment from outside to inside is difficult. The sudden dryness of a house can cause the flower buds to abort.
    ...See More
  • v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like I'll just have to return them. :)

I do recall seeing burning bush. What about these, will planting other plants beside it work?

They also have yellow-stemed dogwoods. Will it work? I have a redtwig dogwood. When I planted an ornamental grass, I couldn't believe the roots I saw when I dug the soil. The hole I created was like 3-4 ft away from the dogwood. So far, that ornamental grass is still doing fine.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

I'm a little skeptical about the Cascade Azaleas (Rhododendron Albiflorum). Is that really what you were able to purchase or another kind using "Cascade" as a descriptive common name? According to the literature, this plant cannot survive exposure below 7 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have the Minnesota developed for cold climates "Northern Lights" series of azaleas both in full sun and in partial sun. They do beautifully in either exposure and can withstand temps of 35-40 below zero. Mine have survived -50 with windchills of -75 periodically over the years without mulch or any protection.

As for acidic soil - they might "prefer" it, but won't suffer terribly without it. A commercial product like Holly-Tone mixed well into the soil when planting, and a little sprinking around the plant every year (or when you remember to do it) seems to be sufficient for a healthy plant and a good bloom.

Holly-Tone is inexpensive and formulated for acid loving plants such as hollies, azaleas, dogwood, evergreens, and rhododendrons. A bag of that is much more cost effective than a bunch of sale plants that might not have a prayer.

I will add, though, that this is only my personal experience with the Northern Lights varieties here in zone 4.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes. In front of the tag, it says Cottage Garden. Then

Cascade Azalea
    Azalea 'Cascade'
    Spring Blooms

Then at the back, the normal info we see like
    Blooming Time - White flowers in early spring
    Sun - Shade Tolerance - Full Sun - Partial Shade
    Hardiness - Hardy to Zone 5(-20F to -10F)
    Mature Size - 3-5' height and width in 10 years
    Water Requirements - Moist, well drained soil
    Plant Care - Azaleas require acidic soil of pH 4.5 to 6.0. Amend soil with peat moss if pH is high.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like I'll just keep the privet especially I got it for only $5.

I saw a picture of the privet and looks like other plants are doing just fine.

I also have a roseglow barberry which I am thinking to transplant in spring. Looks like the bright green of privet and the vivid maroon of barberry will be a perfect contrast. However, both of them grow big. Should I just line them up instead of layers?

{{gwi:282569}}

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Duluthinbloomz4, what pH is the soil where you have the Northern Lights planted? Mine is 7.2, and I'm about to totally give up on rhododendrons and azaleas. Though curiously enough, my experimental mountain laurel is doing fine.

If the Northern Lights can handle soil over 7 without trouble, I may just order some from Bluestone.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So what do we add to make the soil acidic? Are there some products that I can buy at Lowes or Home Depot that I can mix with soil?

Here are the plants I bought yesterday. It's in the garage. :)

{{gwi:282570}}

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

mad gallica:

I wish I knew about my soil (always looked at it thinking it's just loamy clay heavily amended over the years with homemade compost) but I've never had it analyzed - and probably wouldn't totally grasp the real science of it if I did. Much of the terrain here, my yard included, is heavily conifer'd; lots of bogs a little farther north so the soil probably tends to the acidic.

Took a look at what Bluestone was offering - I have what seems to be called "Mandarin" now (on a sunny day it looks like it's in flames), a yellow, a red, and a rose (tending to orchid) all scattered in different places and all put in when the different colors in the series were first introduced. In the late fall, the foliage turns a nice maroon w/ burnished bronze color. Deer - and I have deer aplenty living on the edge of an in town nature preserve - have never bothered them.

Quite a few articles online by searching Northern Light Azaleas. This is from the U of MN extension service:

"If your soil is not acidic, the addition of acid peat, sulfur, or ferrous sulfate can lower the pH. A pH of 4.0 to 5.5 is optimum.

Organic matter should also be added liberally to the soil. Compost, manure, sawdust, or acid peat moss will provide necessary organic matter."

What I don't know would fill volumes, but I'd take success with the mountain laurel as hope for the azaleas.

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

The pH makes a tremendous difference - you guys are further north then us in Chi town and get colder temps but it sounds like the soil is a bit lighter and the pH is in the correct range. You most likely also have more reliable snow cover then us as well.

For us here in N. IL, my feeling is there's too many factors going against to have any notable success with azaleas & rhodies even the 'Northern Lights' series. The soil in general is very heavy black clay except along the very edge of Lake Michigan and certain other isolated pockets; it tends to be wet and gummy over the winter (a plant killer), along with unreliable snow cover (which is an insulator) and add to that a high pH and the added stress of cold temperatures usually results in near failure or marginal success.

For Virtuosity, I've seen your place over in the Design forum - a new subdivision probably means you have not much in the way of topsoil so I'd recommend skipping some of these so called bargains from the box stores and taking a trip down in the spring to Natural Gardens for some colorful tough native shrubs or good cultivars. You'll pay more but you'll come away with expert advice from the staff and plants that will work for you in your environment.

Limestone bedrock occurs naturally in many areas under the subsoil in N. IL and no amount of ammendments is going to permanently alter the existing pH to any significant degree.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gonativegal,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't get this from either Lowes, Home Depot or Menards. I bought this from one of very well known expensive nursery along Route 31 and Rakow Rd in Cary, IL. I bought it from Barn Nursery.

So should I return it?

I do remember the plants they're selling.
    RedTwig Dogwoods
    Yellow Dogwoods
    Spirea
    Burning Bush - $10
    Roses - marked as Zone 4. I remember seeing flowers $10
    Tiger Eyes Sumac - I know this suckers
    vicary golden privet
    cascade azalea
    more ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Barn Nursery

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I've already killed enough rhododendrons and azaleas that I'm not interested in trying more unless there is a reasonable chance of success. The mountain laurel is interesting because many people seem to think they are the trickiest of the bunch. They are also what grows in almost solid limestone near West Point.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just wondering what rhodo my friend has. It's even exposed on the south all day. I noticed though for 2 years, the height was still the same maybe it grew but just a little bit.

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

Vituousity,

Even the higher end establishments are going to sell what's popular. Afterall, they have to make money too. The difference is that is you usually have a plant that's better taken care of and better Customer Service but it's not always necessarily the best suited for your environment.

I'd take them all back, and if anything wait until spring to buy.

But, if you still feel the need to plant and it's a good price, it's hard to go wrong with Red twig dogwood.
    However, you need to plant it where it has plenty of room to spread such a large back border (not up near the house where it gets too big) and then every two to three years the older stems need to pruned out for aesthetics and to slow the development of anthracnose it's prone to. If you have enough room to plant 3 or 4 and want some additional winter interest throw in a yellow twig dogwood as well for contrast.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok. I've decided to return the azalea. However for the privet, it looks very lovely with all the tons of dark colored fruit. I'm thinking of returning all 3 azalea and 1 privet then just grab 2 big burning bush. The burning bush are in burlap.
    What do you think?

• terrene
    15 years ago

Please don't plant the Burning Bush. This is an invasive, non-native species that has been prohibited and is being phased out of nurseries in my state. They have been WAY overplanted here in Mass. especially in commercial properties and have spread into wild areas. They are rugged (hence the reason they are overplanted at office buildings) and have nice fall color, but the blooms are invisible. I would go for one of the Dogwoods, which are native, have lovely blooms, nice twig color, and make berries for the birds.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads up terrene.

gonativegal, I went back to the nursery today. I returned the 3 azaleas. I replaced it with 4 yellowtwig dogwoods. I planted them today as well. I planted them in between the viburnum and juniper. :) I planted them like a zigzag manner. I'm very happy with how they look like.

Thanks!

Oh, about berries that you mentioned terrene, I don't recall seeing my redtwig provide berries.

• terrene
    15 years ago

V1rt, that sounds nice. I like to zigzag shrubs too, it looks more natural. Sorry if I sounded dogmatic re: the Burning Bush, this shrub has become problematic in the Northeast US and I suspect it would have invasive tendencies where ever it's grown.

As for Cornus sericea, Redtwig or red osier Dogwood, they definitely make berries. Check the link for a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berries on Cornus sericea

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ah, that picture reminded of my redtwig's fruit now. I have seen them before on my redtwig. My memory is deteriorating.

I do remember their white tiny flowers. It's identical to the flowers of viburnum. :D

Regarding the burning bush, they're not invasive here in our area. I have seen an area that I pass by everyday for more than 3 years, it was the same. Anyways, all the burning bush are gone.

I'm going back there to get the smoketree. :D

Thanks!

Neil

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor