SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyborders

Your Worst Seedy and Weedy.

sunnyborders
9 years ago

There's lots of horror stories around about weeds.

For instance, one study found that common chickweed plants produced an average of 25,000 seeds per plant. And 50% of the seeds were still available to germinate three years later. in fact, 1% were still around after 18 years.

However, even it's name identifies chickweed as a weed, albeit probably the most successful weed in the whole World.

It's another matter when you blindly purchased a garden perennial and only subsequently discover it's a rabid seeder and is very difficult to eliminate.

In my case, I'd say the most challenging seeder problem I've had has been ferny corydalis (Coydalis cheilanthifolia).

We have had both ferny corydalis and yellow corydalis (C. lutea) located in the work area of our garden. The area is relatively shaded and often damp (from watering potted plants).

Yellow corydalis gently seeds around. I pull it up as needs-be, but it never seems difficult to keep it out of a location where it is not wanted.

From my limited exposure to it, ferny corydalis seems quite otherwise. I only ever purchased one ferny corydalis. Slow to get it planted, it remained the summer in the pot. Then I read what an aggressive seeder the plant was and disposed of it.

In recent years, I've taken to weeding the area under the fence and my neighbour's brick path beyond. I've seldom need to pull yellow corydalis seedlings out, but I have had over ten years of pulling out those of ferny corydalis. This year, I pulled about half a dozen out.

Over ten year and progeny of that one potted ferny corydalis are still hanging on.

Comments (42)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living