SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan754

Why did my columbine plant dry up

joan754
12 years ago

Hi all. In the spring I bought a columbine plant that was already blooming. I planted it in my flower garden and it survived for a while until the blooms were spent. Then the plant started to dry up and die. I saved some seeds from the plant and seeded them in a pot. It took some time, but the plant finally came up. It was growing quite nicely. The plant got to be about an inch high with lots of little plants. I kept it outside when the weather was nice and once it started to get really cold (I'm a zone 2b), I started taking it inside for the night as I didn't want it to freeze as it was so small yet. The leaves started to pale and look sickly. Eventually they started to dry up and die. I know it couldn't be from lack of light as it got lots of sunlight and I even tried putting it under artifical lights but it just seemed to die off. Will this plant come back or is it dead and any ideas why it died in the first place. I have never started columbine from seed before and I wanted to to grow over the winter, but I'm not holding out much hope for this plant. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (12)