SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

Leaving perennials untrimmed for winter?

rusty_blackhaw
12 years ago

I admit I cut back perennials to only a limited extent in the fall, mostly because of laziness/other pressing duties. I'm ahead of schedule currently, mostly because squirrels were using a couple clumps of ornamental grass as a springboard to leap onto a bird feeder and slurp up all the goodies, so I cut them back close to the ground and was impressed by how neat that area looked for a change.

Then I picked up a copy of Organic Gardening magazine and saw a piece on how you should leave everything untrimmed until spring to provide food and habitat for birds and other animals, including the statement that cleanup is easier in the spring. I think most of us would agree that last claim is nonsense - it's simpler to cut back now than to deal with damp, rotting stringy stalks and leaves in springtime, not to mention compacting the soil and risking damage to emerging shoots. And the article failed to mention the possible need to eliminate disease and overwintering bugs which fall cleanup can help.

If I can get to it before snow hits, I plan to cut back as far as possible. There's plenty of surrounding untouched habitat for the myriad creatures in the yard and I'll put out an extra suet ball or two if I feel too guilty for cutting back perennials.

Comments (10)