SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Gardening Videos

arbo_retum
15 years ago

The Public Library is a truly great institution! I am a huge 'filmophile', seeing 100s of films a year,many through my library network. Recently I have finally got around to watching gardening videos. They're not the how- to instructional type, more dvds of gardens I've always wanted to visit, great garden designers etc. I thought some of you might want to see them so I'm reporting on them.

As to availability, it may be easier than you think. Here in Ma. my library is a member of a library network- The Minuteman Library network- through which I can request and have delivered to my library- any material in the system. If I want something that is only available at, for instance, a library in Ohio,my librarian puts through an 'Inter-Library Loan' request for libraries outside the Minuteman Network or the Virtual Catalog for the state of Ma. I think you may have this option available to you as well; talk to your local reference librarian. On to the films. I have included their library code information to help in your finding them.

Please do tell if you end up requesting/watching them. Only then will I know it was worth posting all this!

Best,

Mindy

THE ART AND PRACTICE OF AGRDENING: ENGLAND, IRELAND, AMERICA

Penelope Hobhouse : the art & practice of gardening. [Volume 2], Color in the garden ; [videorecording] Flower gardens / producer, Stuart Crowner ; directed and photographed by Tony Gonzalez ; Scripps Howard Broadcasting Company ; Home & Garden Television ; Perennial Productions, Inc.

Publication Info. Pasadena, CA : Perennial Productions, [1997], c1996.

Title Touring the world's best gardens, Ireland & America [videorecording]

Permanent URL for this catalog record: https://library.minlib.net/record=b256417

Barcode 34866010017923

This is a 2 disc 5 hour set narrated by Penelope Hobhouse (genuflect, genuflect!)as she visits some of the most famous gardens in the world and interviews garden owners,designers,historians, nursery owners, plant collectors.

Highlights were too many to recount. Volumes of information and inspiration for long winter nights!!

CHIHULY GARDENS AND GLASS

Chihuly gardens & glass [videorecording] / a Portland Press production ; directed and edited by Peter West ; produced by Mark McDonnell.

Publication Info. Seattle, Wash. : Portland Press, [2004], c2003.

Barcode 34864002029527

Permanent URL for this catalog record: https://library.minlib.net/record=b2247601~S1

Sometime in the last year, the talented runktrun posted on GW some wonderful photos of a Dale Chihuly glass installation in a public garden conservatory. Before that, I had not known he was doing garden works. Well, I was instantly hooked and then I found this fascinating dvd. It documents Dale ChihulyÂs amazing 2002 installation in ChicagoÂs Garfield Park Conservatory, complete with a lot of behind the scenes site visits and studio footage. If you were a glassblower, you would just HAVE to have a copy of this!!It is a really thorough and multifaceted exploration of the artist , his thinking and creating processes, and the phantasmagorical results!

MONETÂS GARDEN AT GIVERNY

Monet's garden at Giverny [videorecording] / Two Four Productions ; produced in association with the Académie des Beaux-Arts ; producer, Sadie Hennessey ; director, Emma Ford.

Publication Info. Old Newnham, Plymouth, England : Two Four Productions, Ltd. : Distributed by Willowbank Video, [2004], c1999.

Permanent URL for this catalog record: https://library.minlib.net/record=b223585

Barcode 34864002131869

Pretty much speaks for itself. A pretty good exploration of the artist and his relationship to this garden.The one unexpected feature is a chapter on the maintenance of the garden including its annual putting to bed for the winter. EIGHT full time gardeners!!

GREAT BERKSHIRE GARDENS

Great Berkshire gardens [videorecording] : the nine seasons / produced in cooperation with the Berkshire Botanical Garden.

Publication Info. Lanham, Md. : National Film Network, [c1999]

Permanent URL for this catalog record: https://library.minlib.net/record=b245928

Barcode 34872003469675

ThatÂs Berkshire as in the Berkshires (mountains) of Western Massachusetts.This has kind of a TV feel to it and the first half of it was boring(I fast forwarded through it). But there are a few really excellent chapters- of some of the amazing Victorian villa gardens at The Mount, Edith WhartonÂs estate, Wheatleigh, Daniel Chester FrenchÂs Chesterwood, and most importantly, Fletcher SteeleÂs landscape design at Naumkeag.

and Frederick Law Olmsted and his work- both in the Berkshires and in Central Park and his home and studio in Ma. The Steele and Olmsted sections have a lot of lessons for landscape and garden design; theyÂre very well written and filmed.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional