SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann23941

Could I create a very eclectic room?

Ann
9 years ago
I have a stupid country room and am wondering if I could turn it into an eclectic room using an old family quilt and blue dresser? Here is the quilt and dresser and here's an inspiration room.
[houzz=
South Melbourne Family Home · More Info

Comments (876)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Shoot about the pillow. If I were there, I would open one seam and make it the correct size :) I love it and the price is right!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Whoo HOOO Ann, I was hoping to come home and get a chance to see the room done;)
    It is an amazing transformation!!

I would like to see more modern lamps on the nightstand/sump pump, but not the same lamp as the yellow one.

I bet you will find yourself coming down to this room ALOT more now;)
  • Related Discussions

I decided to create a show house room completely from thrift store

Q

Comments (17)
    it was, and I was determined. I probably spent 3 times the amount of time driving around and looking for deals as a normal job but it was fun to do.
    ...See More

Eclectic Fireplace room ideas?

Q

Comments (24)
    The title of your design dilemma was "electric fireplace". Since there is no photo of one in the room I thought I would post one that we just used in a large project in San Diego where we added a great granny flat to the home. This unit is a fireplace//heater and is beautiful. Purchased on Wayfair.
    ...See More

Large Boho Eclectic Living Room

Q

Comments (10)
    I would raise the drapery rod a bit so the drapes aren't sweeping up dog hair all the time. Then give everything in the FP end (including the rug) a 1/4 turn so your sofa takes the loveseat's place and the love faces the window. Use your two chairs to flank the window. That way, all your seating for conversation is arranged together. I wouldn't paint the FP, although you might install a big rustic mantel all the way across it. I think you can create a "foyer" by putting a round pedestal table on a rug straight out from the door. The right table can do double duty for entertaining. You can actually just rent chairs for a dinner party. As for art, you'll need a big piece above the sofa and another above the desk and the record player area. I think the two posters you have flanking the window might do better flanking the sliders. Square rug Round rug Get a table that can do double duty as a dining table.
    ...See More

Help me fix /decorate my my living room into Eclectic and yet cosy.

Q

Comments (34)
    Don't move the credenza then. Get an area rug, center one group of seating around fireplace and conversation and then maybe get a tea cart or something and put a small chair or two around that near the doors/windows to the outside. You can sit and sip your tea and watch the birdies outside there in the winter! When the weather gets nice you can carry the chairs out to the deck to sit in the sun! Then roll the cart out there with some cocktails later in the day!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Design works well when there is repetition of design style, texture, colors and blends of same color palettes. Two birds is not too many. You've already repeated the design flavors in this room. Country, vintage, modern, and eclectic.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Margo - it's so cool - I'm so glad I did it! I'll continue to ponder those bedside lamps but no huge hurry. It really looks great in there. The canary is amazing!
    Grover, do you have the canary in your home? Have you seen anyone else with it?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Here's an eclectic room with repetition using three sea shells.
    Bowral · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    Oh, forgot to say, I love that you posted the before and after shot.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Sorry LB- I would just stay with the ONE BIG BIRD;))
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Reason I suggested the yellow lamp next to the bed is you posted pics earlier of inspiration rooms. The main difference between the rooms is a lamp that coordinates with the bedding. Not suggesting that you lose the lamp from the dresser. Just suggesting you try it next to the bed to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.
  • indomom
    9 years ago
    Maybe instead of a textured white pillow on the rocker, how about a textured white throw?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    If one bird is enough, it's okay by me :))
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Since you like that white lumbar that is too long, would it be an option to call some drycleaner or seamstress and get a quote to resize it. The price is so good.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Indomom, because the chair isn't deep and is slippery (pillows slide down), I do prefer the idea of a throw if fabric is needed on that side of the room.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Ann, I think a throw would be enough to soften that chair.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    I think the Greek key in yellow would work. You have a lot of organic lines in the room, and the geometric would be a perfect counterpoint.
  • eageree
    9 years ago
    The bird picture is the finishing touch! The room is very refreshing. I've previously posted no throw or pillow for the rocker - I love the spindle detail - but what about a cushion in a fun fabric for the seat - with ties to hold it in place? That would soften the look, in more ways than one :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    eageree, funny ... I agree maybe a cushion.
  • hollybar
    9 years ago
    Agree with you LB that sometimes obvious repetition is a glorious thing in a room. In this case,another bird so obvious wasn't working for me. But a pair of birdy bookends on the sump pump might,maybe a teensy bit of that "Bird on a Wire"Studio Bon fabric in a tiny tramp art frame would, or the more subtle birdcage reference that grover's caged lamp had. Hard to say. Layering mood,form,texture,color...and how much we each like/appreciate/tolerate it and how much we each "see" is an endlessly fascinating subject,imo. Hence Houzz!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Someday you will come upon the perfect lamps...
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Really like those first lamps Grover! Could never do the second ones, even with my new enjoyment of bright colors:)
    After the holidays, I got the worst case of the flu and got way behind on my house cleaning. So, I spent last week really doing a thorough house cleaning. But, I didn't get to the basement due to painting, the big goodwill pile in the middle of the family room, etc. Anyway, I just spent the last hour cleaning the basement and I probably walked in that room 20 times just to check it out since I was downstairs anyway. My conclusion is it's fantastic, I love it, and I think I'll call it done for now. It would be great for a guest with very few accessories to get in the way. It feels light, open, bright, funky, minimal and fun. It's exactly what I wanted. The canary is unbelievably cool!!!!! Thanks a million everyone for again holding my hand through this process!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    OH, Ann, I can just see you down there and finding excuses to take a gander. Good for you and how nice it came together this nicely.....and FAST!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Abbyjean, did you play with the new white bedding yet? It's quite nice for that price, isn't it? Can we see a pic?
    I just took the plastic off the yellow lamp and cut the tags off the white bedding and blue pillows. I also increased the width of the patterned portion of the quilt by a few inches. I love the room!!!!! Heck, I want to sleep in it tonight, but then I'd have to wash the clean sheets:)
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    How funny.....we are sitting here and watching a movie and I bop on here during some commercials, but I also just put another pillow in the shams as I felt like they needed a little more oomph. My husband had to referee some basketball games this morning, so I took that time to play without an audience!!! Just the shams made a nice difference, but the coverlet really lightens up the room and the bedding, which I love. And you were sooo right....having both sides finished is an unexpected treat.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hi Ann, just wanted to say how impressed I am with what you've done with this space and what a wonderful group of people you've had to help you! My favorite part? The canary of course. :-) outstanding job!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yep, my shams didn't fill very well either with one pillow. I haven't addressed that issue yet. I really like the bedding though and the reviews say it washes and dries beautifully with no shrinkage. Come on abbyjean, post pics:). I'm lonely with my dilemma done.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Avery! I'm just thrilled and it really is so much better in person. I wish you could see it.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Oh I'm sure! Internet pics rarely do a room justice. :-)
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Ann, I can't tell you how gratified I am that someone finally had the perfect home for that canary. An heirloom quilt, a super cool antique rocker, an old chest painted blue, and some croquet balls: who'da thunk it could turn into this? I'm especially gratified that you took the plastic off the lamp. Yay, you!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks grover! I've loved the canary since the first time I saw you post it (I also love the pink scooters and another recent pair of art you've been posting). The canary has always been my very favorite and it's even better in person, seriously. I just hated my guest room where I had dumped all the country junk I wanted to get rid of in other areas of the house. Then, I recently saw that inspiration pic in a Houzz article and immediately thought of the quilt in a trunk - which made me immediately think of the canary. Then, everyone thought it was a great plan and I got really motivated. I can't even tell you how thrilled I am with the result! It is so great in person! I'll love that room for years to come and thank you for the canary idea!!!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Just couldn't resist posting some final pics. I'm so excited about this room. You guys are the greatest - wish I had a another whole house we could work on room by room!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Last three - I promise, lol:)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Gosh, what a happy, cozy and fun room....so full of character! Perfect balance and mix of colors. Spending time relaxing in this space would make for a good day. :-)
    PS I change my mind...the canary is no longer my only favorite....that whole vignette including the gorgeous blue dresser is!
  • User
    9 years ago
    It looks great and doesn't need another thing except some silly, laughing granddaughters to really bring it to life. I'm not sure you even need additional art work.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Ann, I like the bed with more of the pattern of the quilt showing too;)
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Good morning LB ;0), I love that owl painting, especially the surprised look on it's face.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Bluenan, I totally agree - grandgirl art would compete with the canary, I think. I think the room is completely done. I'll still let the grandgirls do a canvas, but they can take them home after our painting day:)
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Ann, I really love the big bird painting. I am going to scroll up and read it ;0).
  • eydie
    9 years ago
    Ann, congratulations on a lovely completion to your project, it looks marvelous darling!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    LITTLE shy of two weeks from the first post to completion.....amazing. The amount spent also was worth it, too, right? Most cost effective yet? ONE day of labor????
  • tlparks
    9 years ago
    How adorable!! The canary wall art is perfect for that room. Ahhh....
  • mam1022
    9 years ago
    Canary on a blue ledge approves!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Abbyjean, actually a fair amount of painting work overall if you add in the painting of the dresser which happened right after Xmas. Cost was just over $900 (half of that was the headboard). The rest was bedding (blue pillows, white bedding, bed skirt, and new sleeping pillows), art, yellow lamp, paint and painting supplies. I think I spent less on that guest room upstairs (the one where we hung the prayer rug on the wall behind the headboard), but this room was completely transformed and the one upstairs was simply tweaked and rearranged. I couldn't be more pleased with the cost and outcome - I adore this room now! It was so worth it!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I forgot about painting the dresser and that was a lot of work, too! Under $1000 has to feel good for such a huge transformation! And guess I forgot about the one upstairs that had changes that did not cost a thing or very little. Nice home, Ann!!! And does not look like a lot of snow out those windows right now, so winter must be ok right now in CO? Without my sis there anymore, I do not know, but I know she has mentioned several times they are happy to be in TN, even though they had a touch of snow yesterday there. My niece is in Ft. Collins, so I still have a bit of a CO connection.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Ann, you are inspiring me to do some painting, your room looks wonderful, fresh, and just in time for spring.
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

Ann, just coming in. I love this room - blue and yellow have been favorites of mine for a long time. I would love to suggest another pillow on the bed - a yellow print - either 1 smaller in the front of 2 large Europeans. I feel the yellow needs to be pulled all the way up to the wall. Also, I saw someone asking about more art - you? You said you have granddaughters. Get them to paint/color pictures for you using Grover as an inspiration and group the 4 above the bed. It will add some more color to that side of the room as well as give everyone something personal. As a last touch, how about a soft throw for the chair.

Even if you don't do another thing, this room is beautiful. You had a good start with the blue dresser and quilt as well as the painting. Thanks for sharing after photos!

• Ann
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Columbia. I rarely go downstairs and see this room and it doesn't get used often, but I love it when I do see it. We did discuss a throw for the chair in this dilemma, but I never did add one. Also, we discussed granddaughter art, but I just wasn't sure I wanted to add anything more. It's pretty minimal as it is, but I'm thinking that's kind of nice for a guest - so they'll have room for their own things. I may add more in the future and I'll update this thread if I do:)

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Ann, I was on posts 'popular' to look for another thread and saw yours - love your 2 items, but I haven't read --- how is it/ how did it go? Have you posted an update?? :)

• Ann
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everdebz. With the help of Houzzers, I did finish this room rather quickly. If you scroll backwards just a little (to January 25th comments), you'll see the finished pics. It was a really fun project and very low budget. I love the room now.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

That's great...

so I looked back and it felt to me so homey, and bright yellow added the zing...

Now I know -- why/ where grover keeps posting the canary!!!

Have you other posts? I could look...

• Ann
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Grover was the one that originally found and posted the canary on a few dilemmas. I loved the canary and when I decided to use the yellow quilt, I immediately thought of Grover's canary.

I've had tons of posts in most of the rooms in my house:)

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Oh, tons..... oh and grover was your original source for the canary!?