SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonny300

Fertilizering-sometimes the rules dont apply

sonny300
16 years ago

Because I planted my Rhodos too close to the Douglas Firs and Western Red Cedars, I have had to limb-up considerbly.That was beneficial, and also this year I applied my fertilizer the first week of Feb.(10-8-6) because it takes a long time for the spring rain to break thru that canopy. And I have been watering as I always have for the past 10 years or so.

Here is where I broke the rules. In April, May, June , and lastly on July 10 this year, I used a liquid (15-30-15).like Miracle Grow. And for the first time, there are many,many flower buds"those nice fat plump ones" that will bring flowers next spring.

I did this after reading a book my sister bought for me written by Kenneth Cox. Basically Douglas Firs are rather greedy, and when the limbing-up didnt work, and the extra water didnt work , well I decided to "break the rules", and that seems to have to worked. It seems that if you are going to be as (foolish) as I was and plant to close to those majestic giants, then extra nitrogen will not just produce leafy plants and no flowers, rather a fertilizer like 15-30-15 will be used by the Rhodos to produce flower buds. *This does not mean that this applies to all forested acreages. I dont pretend to know what other kinds of trees are as greedy as the aformentioned. I would like to offer a special thanks to Morz8 and Rhodyman for their help and encouragment, and would advise others to follow their advice. * Dont do what I am doing unless you have tried what they suggest first. For most situations-the advice they give you is the best you can obtain.My situation is somewhat different , I have been growing Rhodos for 20 years, and this next spring looks like the best flowering season ever and that is what gardening is all about-try everything, and then do what is best for your own situation and when you find a solution that works for you ENJOY.

Comments (3)

Sponsored