SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

Help with getting my soil right in order to plant azaleas

wilsocn
12 years ago

Hi everyone

I have lived in this house for over three years and when I first moved in I immediately planted two azaleas plants and, although they never seemed to grow, they did bloom beautifully for two seasons before dying. I dont know a lot about plants and even less so back then and I had no clue about soil requirements.

My soil has a very high clay content and is extremely poor draining and I live in an area surrounded by caves (Mammoth Cave) and in many places the limestone will peek out of the ground around my property. I have never had a soil test done and I may be way off about this assumption but I have read that soils with a lot of limestone deposits tend to be alkaline.

Anyway, with my poor soil and general lack of knowledge it isnt hard to see why they didnt grow and died after two years.

So with that being said, I bought a bunch of landscaping posts and I am going to build a planter box. I have enough to build it 18" high and about 3' wide. Would this be enough for two azaleas bushes?

I am also looking for some help with getting the soil right. I was planning on buying a scoop or two of topsoil for the box but I dont know what else I need to add to it so that the azaleas do well (or at the very least survive!).

Can anyone give me some recommendations on soil amendments and basic ratios for azaleas? I will be getting the boxes ready soon and either planting in September if I can still get the plants or next Spring.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus