SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Has Anyone Heard of Tropilab?

susanlynne48
18 years ago

I was perusing websites, actually looking for solanum species/hybrids (nightshade) seeds, and found this site offering species bulbs of Xanthosoma (they call them bulbs, but I think it's tubers?). They are $5.00 each. Actually, it looks like it is more of a food/medicinal herb type site. They import these seeds and bulbs from somewhere in South America (they give the name but I forgot it) and provide a phytosanitary certificate with the seeds and bulbs they sell. They are located in St. Petersburg, Florida.

I also saved in my Favorites, the hardiness zone maps they provide for Europe and Australia, because we get so many questions from overseas about their zones.

Anyway, the bulbs are $5.00 each, and they state that their bulbs can range anywhere from an oz. to 32 oz. in size. I imagine you wouldn't get a 32 ounce Xanthosoma tuber. However, for any size of Xanthosoma, a tiny bulb for $5.00 doesn't sound like much out of pocket. These are the ones they offer:

Xanthosoma sagittifolium

X. violaceum

X. maffafa

X. atrovirens

X. brasilense

They also offer a Caladium bicolor, that they "say" is hardy to zone 4. I have never heard of a caladium hardy to zone 7, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Just wondered if you had heard of this group.

Susan

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living