SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raspberryflyer

Can I Safely Raise Tomatoes in Aged Horse Manure

raspberryflyer
17 years ago

I am well aware that I can use aged horse manure to supplement existing garden beds.

But I had opportunity to get four pickup truck loads full of aged manure, which is now in one huge heap near my garden.

This is in addition to the large amount of autumn leaves and Starbucks coffee I have already gotten and am in the process of composting.

Here is my question:

Suppose that I start a brand new raised bed in the spring time. I have a large number of square bales of straw that I bought last January to put around my green house (for added insulation). I have replaced them with new, fresh bales of straw and now have the older bales -- still in pretty good shape -- to do other things with.

I was thinking about building the raised bed "frame" with the straw bales, and then filling the center of that garden bed "frame" with nothing but aged horse manure. I would then grow tomato and basil in the new bed.

Is this safe? Is it a good thing to do?

Would I do better mixing in some of my shredded leaves and Starbucks coffee into the mix, even if the leaves and coffee is no where near fully composted?

Thanks in advance for your insights into this.

Comments (4)