SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Harison Yellow rose seeds

aliska12000
14 years ago

I could find nothing about growing these from seeds. HMF had 2 or 3 pictures of hips but mine are smaller, more shrivelled and crispier, very small, like 1/8".

I thought the seeds would be, well, dark, hard and possibly small. But all I can find are some odd things with a little white fuzzy tail, presumably to be caught in the wind at some point, and a couple mm seed that is ovoid, pointed, elongated and taupe.

So that makes me wonder if my rose is really a Harison after all or what I've got here. Anyway, I'm going to sow the seeds, mess and all (hard to separate) and see what happens. Even if they do germinate, they very likely will not come true.

I've read up on Harison, and it first appeared as a chance seedling. I've never seen any volunteers, aren't enough in my area to observe and study anyway. Yes, I can get more plants from suckers and trying to root cuttings, but I want to try the seeds. They're locked in those small hips so well, it would take quite awhile to break down naturally. I had to crush them, pry open and try to smoke out some individual seeds.

Maybe I should have harvested them in the fall. Well, I didn't just picked some off a week or two ago and figure they're about as stratified as they're going to get.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus