SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twotzus

Split Topic: Lyda Rose/Spider Mites!

twotzus
16 years ago

I'll just combine two unrelated topics into one post to save on space. :)

One: Just how big is Lyda Rose supposed to be? I love this rose! I love her looks, her color and especially her scent! But she has canes that are over 10 feet tall! And almost an inch around! I planted her a year ago in an east facing location and she has climbed into the abutilon and (I know it's overgrown..there is a story to that) Distictis. You can just see a cluster of buds at the top of the fence in the picture. That fence is 12 feet tall!I pruned her late winter with very light touch, and perhaps I should have pruned her more than I did. I confess that I haven't spent much time on this part of the yard this year but I wonder if I should wait for next winter to prune her WAY back. Scroll down for a link to a pic from a month or so ago. Note she doesn't look like this now due to my awful spider mite infestation (see Topic two)

Two: I have the most awful spider mite infestation I have ever seen! I admit I have been lax on my gardening duties the last couple of months, but this weekend I spent two whole days with hubby cleaning up and trimming. I knew I had some spots of them, but now it is full blown infestation. My abutilon is defoliated, there's a huge dead patch in my hibbertia, my clems are ratty, and my roses look awful. I have a theory that this is from my application of Bayer early this year. It was a drench supposed to prevent pm. My friend convinced me to try it against my better judgement, it was 3 in one I think. I used the one bottle on my roses only and did not use it again. I think it may have done in my "good" bugs and caused this mite infestation. I'd rather have the pm than these spider mites. Oh, and it didn't do a thing to help the PM anyway. I used the jet spray to spray water on all my plants hoping to knock them off. What do I do now? Neem? Keep hitting them with jets?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)