SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn82_gw

Help - Rhodos in Trouble

lynn82
13 years ago

I inherited the responsibility for tending three rhododendrons that did well last year but seem to have gotten into trouble in the past 4-6 weeks. I've read quite a bit online to try to identify the problem, however, as a novice gardener, I would really appreciate some advice.

I've posted a page with 4 pics at http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfpvsgps_378q8vjwc6 Plus, here's some background information that I hope will be helpful:

Environment:

- The rhodos are planted in terracotta planters that are approx. 2' high and 2' in diameter. (see Image 1)

- The plants are about the same size as the planters - 2' high and 2' in diameter.

- The soil in the planters is not clay-like.

- The soil is not particularly acidic. I tested and it seemed to err a bit on the side of base.

- I water the plants every 1-2 days, giving the root ball region a decent watering (but not an over-soaking).

- The planters are located in a narrow, cool, basement-level area at the back of an apartment building. (see Image 2)

- This area gets 2-3 hours of sun - but only if it's sunny during the mid-day hours. Otherwise, it's shady.

- The area can be very windy.

- This is in NY state.

- The rhodos seemed fine early this spring and showed new growth which looked normal until we were hit with an unusual and extreme cold spell after a week of warm weather. Afterward, there was leaf drop and some browning and curling of the leaf edges (see Image 3).

- A month later (and in the last week), I noticed much more leaf curling, and now some "trail-like" lines in the middle of the leaves (see Image 4). I also noticed one leaf that had about six 1/8" diameter holes munched out.

I thought that the initial leaf browning might be due to the dramatic weather changes in early spring. Now, I'm wondering if the situation is much more serious - or if those rhodos are not in the right environment after all. I'd really appreciate any advice!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH