SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highwaygardener

Wood ash mixed with Chicken Poop for Vegies

highwaygardener
12 years ago

So for the past two years, we've been putting in wood ash from our wood stove, which we burn a lot, and also the manure from our six chickens. We've never used the compost (had some other things going on), just tossed it around once in a great while.

Then one day I read about the negative effects of too much wood ash. Our soil tends to be alkaline so making it more so wouldn't be a good thing.

So I asked my hub to dig out the compost and put it in an unused part of the garden, thinking we had to start over with our compost for next Spring. But as he dug it out, we felt so bad, because it looked so great. All that stuff we'd been putting in for two years had turned into this beautiful-looking, fine, dirt-type stuff.

So then I did a Ph test, and found that our mix tested as neutral.

So what do ya'll think? It's so gorgeous, I'd love to till it in to the vegie gardens. Would there be too much salt from the wood ash? How do I tell? Should I do a PNK type test? (or is it KPN? But you know what I mean...)

I should also add that we've put some leaves, lawn clippings, and kitchen scraps in there as well.

Comments (7)