SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamary_gw

Cute little surprises in 4' pots

carolinamary
13 years ago

My husband surprised me by bringing home some tiny miniature roses from the floral department of one of our grocery stores. Cute little roses, all abloom in 4-inch pots with floral paper in a complementary color. I suppose the grocery store marketing idea is probably to enjoy them while they are blooming, the same way you'd enjoy a decorative little vase of cut flowers for the house.

The labels don't say anything other than "Parade Roses" on them, but I think I've been able to identify them by using HelpMeFind and the Aldershotgreenhouses site. The three of them that are red might be the variety "Karina Parade" though they happen to be definitely fragrant here, in spite of its "none to mild" designation. The two that are yellow with a slight reddish or pink edging are likely to be "Sonja Parade", and the one bright pink is probably "Fiesta Parade". Anyway, they are sitting on a tray in our bathroom under a skylight right now, and eventually after a little gradual exposure to our hot summer temperatures outdoors, I'm thinking we might try planting them in the yard.

This is not my idea of the best way to go about planning and planting roses with specific characteristics in mind... but I have to say that they look so cute! And I'm enjoying them plenty! I hope they do live and hope to get them planted somewhere away from the areas where we have our few remaining roses in the yard on probation (for the huge invasion of RRD we've suffered from here this year).

Just in case you might have the same grocery store chain near you and the same sale price too... my husband got them at a Harris Teeter for $2.50 each, and the floral salesperson there told him that they came in from Canada. I assume that they are probably grafted plants, though I don't really know that for sure.

Best wishes,

Mary

Comments (5)