SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cattyles_gw

Core aerating lawn under trees?

cattyles
10 years ago

Two years ago I bought a house with a little guest house in the back so my dad could retire and I can check in on him daily.

This is west Texas. Trees are scarce and west Texans are tree-massacring savages. They blame everything bad on big trees.

I grew up in Memphis but I have been here 29 years. I have never stopped missing trees.

The house I bought for my dad and me 2 years ago just happens to have the uncontestable best trees in this dirt-blowing little town (30 miles west of Lubbock). However, there is also beautiful fescue under all my great trees.

I honestly had every intention of replacing the fescue with drought-hardy stuff and leaving just a bit of bermuda lawn. My dad felt VERY strongly that I was doing this to obliterate any more enjoyment he had left in life. Apparently, while I was missing trees, he was missing water hog type senseless lawns.

We have had the battle of tree vs. grass for 2 years now. He is enjoying the hell out of vexing my patience. I very logically explained why I did not wish him to use "weed and feed". He put it down the next day. Last month I had to have a dead 40 ft. locust removed. It had bloomed and was gorgeous the year before.

The other locust has borers that have been treated but after reading almost every word on this forum...I am not very optimistic.

I am seriously determined not to lose any more trees.

This forum has been so educational. It was because of y'all that I chose the best man to remove the locust; he used a cherry picker from the driveway over the top of the house into the back to keep from compacting the soil to not harm any tree roots. Which made my dad giggle his butt off while drinking beer and watching.

I would be so grateful for any input for saving my remaining trees. Example: does it hurt tree roots to core aerate the grass under and around the trees? Is it killing the live oak to soak under it every day refilling the birdbath (alkaline, clay soil). What is the deal with retired men with a beer in one hand and a hose in the other that makes it impossible for them to turn the dang hose off?

The county extension guy came out to look at the dead locust. He didn't see any indication of what killed the tree. He said it probably happened a while back and it takes big trees a long time to die (which sounds right after studying this forum). Then he went on to add, "this is the high plains. Trees are not native. No matter how much you coddle them, they are doomed". Which made dad giggle and offer him a beer.

Anyone who has stuck this post out this far- bless your heart. And please give me some guidlines for making sure these trees outlive my dad. Thank you for your patience and any advice.

PS--I think dad and Ken would get along great. If y'all volunteer Ken to come distract dad- whose name is also Ken, btw- I promise to...

Comments (15)