SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Don't Forget Your Peas!

retiredprof
15 years ago

Tomorrow's the big day--St. Paddy's!

Found an interesting thread on the veggie forum about pre-germinating peas, so I started soaking them in warm water this morning. The author says 12-24 hours before planting, then drain, and go. I'm giving it a try this year.

For once with the direct-sow thing, I'm prepared this year.

Prof

PS: Has anybody WS'd peas? If so, will they be ready to plant tomorrow?

Comments (38)

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

I'll be soaking mine today and planting tomorrow:))

• karendee
    15 years ago

I guess I can plant some too! I got some peas in a SASBE.

I think I will WS mine since it can get really cold here in April sometimes.

Unless someone here has other advice for zone 5 and peas?

thanks!
    Karen

• Related Discussions

Don't forget to save your tomato seeds.

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the reminder, token. It's not that long till first frost, and if your maters have been late to produce, there is a tendency to just gobble them up as soon as they ripen, forgetting that you might not get many more nicely shaped, ripe ones to sacrifice for seeds. Also, remember you can save them a new way, using bleach-based kitchen cleaner to scrub the gel off and kill germs. Scroll down on the wintersown.org page to download the pdf file called Learn to Save Tomato Seeds. Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown.org
    ...See More

Don't forget to eat your greens!

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh how I can relate :). I have 3 very big passion vines that the frit cats have devoured so that there is not one leaf left!
    ...See More

Ouch: don't forget the plastic coating on your baffles!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks, dualref. Today, 4 full days after the fact, it's starting to feel better. Yowzer! Who knew? Just a few little scratches.... As to why don't installers remove the plastic? Well, maybe that's some of the answer... I'm sure it wasn't this hard to get off prior to it being baked on, OTOH it probably wasn't completely simple either. Though truthfully, my installer likely just never thought of it. He's a little, um, dinged. Nice guy, I think he did a nice job with the hood, but, well .... I'd say I assume responsibility for this!
    ...See More

Ouch: don't forget the plastic coating on your baffles! (cross-po

Q

Comments (2)
    ...don't know why the link in my text didn't work but here it is posted below. Here is a link that might be useful: Appliances forum link
    ...See More
  • retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

karendee: I've been reading up on these and unsure about WSing as well. I know they love cold weather (not a hard freeze, though) and, some say, they'll actually start winding down and start to fade fast when temps are consistently 70 degrees or more.

The rub is that that sprout so darn fast. I would think if you WS, but get a few warm days, they'll be off and running ready to transplant. Then you're sort of stuck unless you plant and use protective cover on really cold days/nights.

I'm anxious to hear, too, how anybody manages to WS these.

Prof

• karendee
    15 years ago

Thanks Prof! I might WS them and leave the top open some and close it for the cold days.
    Karen

• ajpa
    15 years ago

My 7yo WS peas this weekend in un-taped jugs. I figure when they sprout we'll move them to the bed. I hope that works.

• drippy
    15 years ago

If I start them tomorrow, I'll be WSing - ground's too wet here to direct sow.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I WS mine last weekend. Last year, I wintersowed half, and direct sowed the other half. The WS ones had a quicker, and higher germination percentage. I'm thinking some of the ones in the ground may have gotten eaten by some kind of critter. Peas are a cool season crop. They can handle some cold temps, or even a little snow. If you're worried about them once you plant them out, you can always cover with a row cover when winter weather is forecasted.

Bonnie

• pulldownclaw
    15 years ago

I direct sowed some peas February 15th and they are coming up now. If I can keep the dang bunnies from chomping them I should have some in a month or so, yummy right off the vine!

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to see how these do planted tomorrow with this pre-germination process and DSing. I'd really like to try WS them, but too late this year.

They ARE definitely varmint magnets, though. My "test" seedlings planted in early Fall had every squirrel from the neighborhood chomping on the new shoots! I wound up covering them. Once they got to 4-5 inches tall, the squirrels lost interest.

I'm planting Sugar Ann and Sugar Snap this year. Shelling peas is not my idea of a good time.

Prof

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I've been doing peas on March 17th too and plan to do so tomorrow as well. They usually sprout within 2 weeks and cold nights into the upper 20's (which always happens here mid April) doesn't bother them a bit.
    The first year I tried them I both direct sowed and wintersowed and didn't notice much difference.

• richdelmo
    15 years ago

Wasn't sure which type of seed or even if it mattters so I bought both snow and suagar snap. Anyone have a preference although I will sow both.

• richdelmo
    15 years ago

Oh I forgot to ask does anyone soak their seeds overnight and if so for how long. When researching this I found many that do and don,t and for various amounts of time. So I confused on this one.

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rich: I'm no expert, but try soaking for 12 hours. Start with warm water, let 'em soak, then drain and plant in the garden.

Prof

• seedmama
    15 years ago

I put my peas in to soak last Friday night and didn't get them in soil until Sunday afternoon. That's too long to soak but life got in the way. I couldn't wait until tomorrow to peek. I dug a couple out of the soil and they have sprouted. I doubt they'll peek through the soil by tomorrow but at least I know I didn't kill them. Oregon Sugar Pod, Sugar Snap, and Alaska.

I haven't grown peas in more than 30 years. It's hit or miss in Oklahoma. One really warm spring day and you're out of the pea business. Kaput. But you can't win if you don't enter.

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, seedmama, you're so right. The thing with peas is 1) the the plants and potential harvest, and 2) the fun of the tradition of planting peas in spring.

In my neck of the woods it's: "Did you plant the peas? Did you plant the peas?" Half the damn peas don't do squat, but you wouldn't dare say you forgot the peas. It's like you forgot the butter with the summer corn.

• barbe_wa
    15 years ago

I have wintersown my peas for several years now. When I was direct-sowing, I had a problem with the crows pulling the seeds out as soon as they germinated, but since I started planting them out after the plants are bigger, the birds don't bother them.

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Barbe, thanks for the heads up. I had a murder of crows in my backyard last week. A hawk and two owls sent them scooting, but it's good to know I should be on the lookout once the sprouts are in the ground. 600 pea sprouts would be a terrible thing to lose.

• barbe_wa
    15 years ago

I swear those birds would sit on the fence just waiting for a sprout to appear above ground! One year I only got 3 plants out of a 20 foot row. I have the same problem with corn so I springsow it just like wintersowing and transplant to the garden when it's about 2 inches high.

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

I have mine soaking tonight to plant tomorrow. I have great peas every year but I usually plant a little earlier than this. I was ready to plant and heard it was going to be cold last week so thought I would just wait since they probably wouldn't germinate at that temp and that would just give the birds and squirrels a better chance at getting them. Last year I grew them in paper cups inside and planted out when they got the first tendrils. I didn't notice my peas being any earlier, but I didn't lose as many to critters. They are kind of a pain though because if you don't plant them deep they will crawl right out of the soil as they germinate.

I am very late with all of my veggies this year, but that is probably OK. Some years I am putting out BIG tomato plants or else planting to early and having to cover them. That shouldn't be a problem this year since the first ones (inside) just sprouted today. I have two jugs of wintersown ones, but they have not sprouted.

Todays project was to buy a new lawn mower battery and get the grass mowed for the first time.

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

If you're going to WS snap peas, make sure you do it individual cups and transplant young. Personal experiences may vary but generally snap peas hate being tranplanted at all and will sulk for weeks afterward if roots are broken.

I much prefer presprouting to planting in containers but I don't have any bird problems... ;)

• karendee
    15 years ago

I have my peas soaking....

I will WS tonight

• appaloosa909
    15 years ago

Posted by rich_manure:
    Wasn't sure which type of seed or even if it mattters so I bought both snow and suagar snap. Anyone have a preference although I will sow both.

Snow peas are the flat eatable pods in chinese food... very tasty.
    Sugar Snap peas are the eatable pods with regular sized peas inside. Let the peas swell for full sweetness. Mine rarely make it into the house and never make it to the stove to cook. We each hoard them then eat them while we are gardening.
    I'd say plant both!
    Andrea
    Appaloosa909

• karendee
    15 years ago

I agree Andrea! I have not planted peas in a few years. When I did I had so many and they were yummy!!

I can't wait to plant peas this year. My veggie garden is going to be full!

Karen

• drippy
    15 years ago

I WSed sugar snap & snow peas today - gotta figure out what garden I'm putting them in before they go in the ground, so I thought it best to get them started!

• MLcom
    15 years ago

ok did a direct sow thing and did peas on monday , rain again today we see what happens here.

ml

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

I direct sowed my sugar snap peas today. I did soak them overnight and I hope they do well.
    Joann

• laura_42
    15 years ago

I WS'ed my first peas yesterday -- shelling peas, "Progress #9". I'm also thinking of planting some directly in the ground to directly compare results...

• leisa_in_md
    15 years ago

What's a cheap way to make a trellis for peas? What do you all do? I've never grown peas before, and I'm not sure what to do with them... lol

Thanks!
    Leisa

• kirchren
    15 years ago

I put together a bamboo trellis this year for my peas. All told, I think the cost was something like $6. Just bamboo & twine, honestly. I put it up last weekend and it is holding up great. I may make another one too. So economical and actually kind of attractive, in its own rustic way. There's a video on the website and everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Build a bamboo trellis

• seedmama
    15 years ago

My peas are expected to reach a height of no more than 30". I used discarded real estate lines and nylon masonry twine for a very cheap trellis.

{{gwi:364419}}

{{gwi:364421}}

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

I plant the tall ones and grow them on a 16 ft cattle panel, placed horizontally. I think the panel is about 40 inches high so the plants grow over the top. I tie a piece of cord around the panel near the top so they don't fall over too badly, but just let them droop over the top. They will join hands so if one falls they all may fall.

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Real estate signs, not lines.

• tosser
    15 years ago

Leisa, if you have any deadfall from winter just plunge sticks/small branches into the ground and string some garden twine between them (do this when you plant the seeds). Just be sure the sticks are as high as your peas will be.

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

seedmama - what a great use of those real estate frames! I'm running out to grab some and to set them up along my line of peonies - will help prevent flop. The thick foliage will hide the frames :-D

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

I've always direct sown my peas in the garden mid to late May. They grow so fast they always have enough time to produce before the heat of the summer sets in.

If you choose to ws, I'd plant in individual cups that can be spaced apart. My sis-in-law planted a flat of them early indoors last year and ended up with a tangled mess by the time she could plant them out. I think they literally grow inches a day.

:)

• leisa_in_md
    15 years ago

tosser -- I just read your message... funny because I just stuck some bamboo poles in the ground and was planning to string some twine between them :)

Thanks for the tip! It confirms that what I'm doing will work!! And I'll save the branches from the butterfly bushes I have to prune and use them later.

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just checked mine this afternoon. I DS'd on Tuesday. Not a darn sprout anywhere in the line.

• leisa_in_md
    15 years ago

My seed packet says it can take up to two weeks to germinate, so maybe it's just too soon?

Leisa

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville