SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sf4023st

Elephant ears/ taro not growing like they should

sf4023st
13 years ago

I have some small starts of your typical Colcasia esculenta and Alocasia ordora that are not growing so vigorously as expected. I've had luck getting the same sized starts to grow 3 or more feet with several huge leaves in only a few months last year. However, this was when I was in zone 7 and summer temperatures averaged 90-100 degrees. I'm now living in San Francisco and my plants this year are still little weaklings and it's already mid June. Could the weather here be affecting the growth rate?? I've seen different elephant ears at the SF botanical garden and they seems to be thriving and are of good size so I'm not sure why my plants aren't growing to fast like I've seen in the past. I've moved them to full sun and feed them with lots of water and pot them in manure compost but still they're not growing like on steroids. I also planted to taro tubers that I got from the Asian markets and they have yet to even sprout out of the ground (I planted before in zone 7 and they sprouted within a couple of weeks and where nice tall plants by the first month) Advice?

Comments (10)

Sponsored