SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

I don't know what this plant is??? I did not plant it

chueh
16 years ago

I planted a perennial but I forgot what I planted. There was this plant coming up and growing well on the spot where I planted the perennial, but I don't think this is what I planted.

What is this plant? Thanks.

{{gwi:272464}}

Comments (8)

• chueh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

By the way, this plant attracts a lot of ants and some kind of insects. This plant has thorns on the branches and stems. As least, I noticed that usually perennials don't have thorns. Only do weeds have thorns.

• panchiro
    16 years ago

I have this weed too! Very hard to get rid of. I believe this is horse nettle. If anyone knows how to eradicate it, please let us know!

Simone

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Sure looks exactly like the photo of horse nettle (Solanum carolinense) on wikipedia. Scary!

Here is a link that might be useful: horse nettle

• jean001
    16 years ago

You wrote:
    "By the way, this plant attracts a lot of ants and some kind of insects."

The "some kind of insects" are aphids. Lots of them. That's why the ants are there. To obtain the sweet sticky honeydew the aphids excrete.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

It's horsenettle. Roundup works--eventually. You'll have to repeat the treatment several times. There's a thick root, very deep--sometimes 15 inches down--that you have to exhaust.

• kydaylilylady
    16 years ago

Yes, it's horsenettle and it's a real doosey to get rid of once it colonizes. Get rid of it before those seeds mature.

Janet

• Donna
    16 years ago

What ky said! Remember always that blooms mean seeds are close behind. l0 blooms mean l0 million seeds to pull nexty year! Pull that sucker out! Even if you don't get all the root, it beats millions of seedlings (especially thorny ones.)

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

And, put it in the trash, not the compost pile; I've had similar problems with canadian thistle, and the seeds seem to be able to mature after the plant's been dug up and composted. Yuck.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer