SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catkin_gw

Do You Amend Your Beds With Any Goodies in the Fall?

catkin
9 years ago

First of all, let me say what great gardeners are on this Forum! I'm learning so much and I'm thankful! I'm appreciating the different gardening styles/combos, too.

Another poster mentioned in a thread a while back that they'd lost their mojo--I can relate! Hey OP, did you find it yet? Hope so!

I've been avoiding yard work in general except for occasional mowing--(did some planting well over a month ago that I thought I was going to put off till now and burnt myself out a bit)--I get to the point where I just have to walk away and enjoy the gardens from a distance and maybe, I don't know, clean house??? LOL, right!

But now it's time to start getting serious about putting the garden to bed for the season! I still have lots to plant, though--because apparently I haven't stopped buying! Reading through some threads here the last few days has made me want even more! So many awesome pics floating around! I can't believe I have no Rozanne!

I will go through some time later this month or the first of next and cut back perennials. If I don't, I'll have a huge mess of dried plant material that's blown all over h___ amounting to more work in the Spring.

After cleanup, I'm finally going to be able to feed my soil really well! It's been too long. Over the last 6 moths or so, I've amassed some pelleted alfalfa, rock dust, calcined diatomaceous earth and quite a few yards of mushroom compost and arborist's wood chips (mix of young deciduous branches and evergreens). I'm working on getting some buckets of worm castings from a worm farm to throw down, too. There will be no cultivating, just layering.

I have some corn gluten and meal but am not sure if it should go on or not--need more internet research! I'd originally gotten it for the lawn bur never used it. I may have to broadcast it there later. Anyone use it in their flower beds? (This is what happens when you read the Soil, Compost and Mulch and Organic Lawn Care Forums here at GW!)

Share your soil food choices with us if you will!

Comments (23)