SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patlovesdirt

Garden Overhaul Now? Update - Caution: Long Post and Pics

patlovesdirt
14 years ago

Last August I posted my angst and unhappiness with my neglected gardens (due to serious illness), intending to undertake a total overhaul at the very worst time of year for such things. I received lots of advice and encouragement (thank you). So if anyones interested, hereÂs whatÂs happened so far.

This pic is of the little, narrow side patio garden as it was then, just for comparison. (I also posted photos of my other garden areas run amok that I wonÂt burden you with again, lol). The next one is how the same spot looks today, after the upheaval.

{{gwi:252814}}

{{gwi:272109}}

a href="http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx22/patlovesdirt/Fall%2009%20Side%20Garden%20Redo/?action=view&current=SideGardenRedoandButterflies017.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:272110}}

The new area looks sparse and a little pitiful today, with most plants now at the end of their season and looking ratty, but all seem healthy with lots of new growth  always a good sign. This small bed took me a long time to fix, because of the awful heat where I could only work in the early morning or evening  both for me and the plants. I began by rescuing only those little green (brown!) babies that were suffering the worst  potted them up in the shade temporarily. (I swear, I heard sighs of relief coming from the many potted refuges, lol!). HereÂs a clematis that was forgotten in the shady corner it had been languishing in. I cut the shriveled, yellow vines back to the ground and it immediately took off. ItÂll stay potted until I find a good permanent place for it in one of the back yard gardens.

{{gwi:272111}}

What took so long, though, were ROOTS. Thousands of maple tree roots! Roots from the large maple across the yard had completely infiltrated this bed, and while the top few inches of soil were slightly moist, below that was Sahara Desert dry. I ended up having to dig up everything and pot them all up. I lost count of how many bucket loads of roots I hauled away, cursing that tree all the time. As I dug, it became a tug-o-war with the maple roots that were intertwined with the plant roots. So my plan to get a good root ball with each plant were foiled. (I could hear Ken Adrian whispering in my ear, "I told you I told you about those maple trees!", as I fought the roots for my plants, lol!) That said and knock on wood, I didnÂt lose a single plant. Yay! Those that have been replanted are looking good and putting out new growth from the crowns, as are all the others still in pots waiting for new homes elsewhere in the yard. I took out more plants than I put back in  trying to break myself of my stuffing fettish.

I plan to keep this small side garden, regardless of the maple tree roots, realizing IÂll have to de-root it every couple years. (The maple tree has to stay, because of the shade it provides  I stuck in some hostas close to the huge trunk and I know IÂll have to water, but they will look great.)

Next phase is the large overgrown, long garden along the back of the house  itÂs now taken over with day lilies and 4 oÂclocks. The 4 oÂclocks  hundreds  came from one plant given to me by a friend(?) 10 years ago. I pull them out and they are back the next day, big as ever. So looks like major digging to try and get all the tubers out. IÂll post photos of the progress here later (before and afters)  cause now IÂm taking a long break,. The weatherÂs cooled down a little, but not enough for that undertaking (which is in full sun all day). And weÂve had a solid week of rain after all that drought  too much rain now.

Irrevelent, but hereÂs my butterfly bush covered with lovely orange butterflies. I donÂt know what they are, do you? Also, yesterday DH called out that there was a new butterfly on the front porch  gone when I went to see. But later out back, there it was! And I think itÂs a monarch, except IÂve never seen a monarch around our corner of the world before, and it seems to be very small for a monarch. IÂve read they like milkweed to feed on, except IÂve not seen any milkweed around here either. Have to look into getting some!

{{gwi:272113}}

{{gwi:272114}}

And might as well show off my moonflowers.

{{gwi:272115}}

Sorry for the long, long post, folks. IÂve been busy and just wanted to catch up.

Later - Pat

Comments (9)