SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Homemade Gopher Cages - Hardware Store Discovery Stucco Netting

harmonyp
11 years ago

I found something significant at the hardware store yesterday that I wanted to share for anyone interested.

Old story that I'm digging up 80+ roses and surrounding the root bases with handmade gopher cages. But...

Upon recommendation to not use 1" chicken netting, I went to 1/2" hardware cloth, 20 gauge. I've price compared at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, other places - average pricing for 1 roll of 3'x25' hardware cloth = $50. 3'x50' = $90. On average I use 3' x 3 1/2' pieces for each rose. Expense has just been too much.

So - I decided to go back to 1", 20 gauge - and double it. Average price for 3' x 50' chicken mesh - $50 - which ends up same as hardware cloth. BUT - I happened to find exactly same fencing (well, almost) - labeled as STUCCO NETTING, in a 3' x 150' roll for $50 (same price as 3'x50' chicken netting - thus can do same work for 1/3 price).

The difference - the stucco netting, though still 20 gauge, 1" is actually stronger. Explained by a friend of mine once in the hardware business who said the stucco netting had to pass building code requirements whereas the chicken netting did not. So - in comparing the two manually - you can feel the stucco netting is significantly stiffer / stronger.

Good for anyone who has chickens as well - Stucco Netting!!!

31 down, 54 to go, only 2 roses lost so far...seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Comments (9)