SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowchild_gw

Pruning an old woody trunk on Cecil Brunner?

snowchild
14 years ago

I am having a climber pruning crisis =-O I apologize for a long post. I'm hoping I can get some expert input!

I have an old Cecil Brunner that is trained horizontally.

Lately, all new growth seems to be on the left side. There isn't a main big trunk, but instead many canes are woven around on an iron fence. (There is so much growth you can't see the iron fence)

(Picture #1)

On the right, there is a fat old "main" trunk that sits on a long support beam. I used to see long new canes sprouting from this main trunk, and extending the whole length of the bush. But lately, there really isn't much going on.

(Picture #2, #3, #4, #5)

I am replacing the wooden support structure (see pix). The contractor said it needs to be custom built to the right height to accommodate this trunk. However, I have a sinking feeling that the trunk actually needs to be cut down in order to encourage new growth to that side.

My dilemma is that everything on the right is attached to this single trunk. If I cut it down it'll be a long time before I will have flowers for the length of the new fence.

Not only that, if I am cutting the trunk down, there no longer is a need to have the custom made support - the new fence could pretty much be whatever the height I want, and I'll just attach brand new canes as they come out.

For years, I tried to get thick growth (toward ground) to cover up this ugly wooden support. I could never get any flowers below it - just on top. Then it finally hit me - if I had new canes that sprouts from the base, then those can be espaliered and I'll get a thick display to the ground like the other side if I wanted.

Any thoughts? Should I still build the new fence to the height to accommodate the current trunk, and slowly trim it down over several years? The crown of the plant is right behind the center of the purple verbenas in the pix #1.

I appreciate your help very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cecil Brunner woody trunk

Comments (2)