SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bveronico

First Winter - Azalea Damage

brooklynbonnie
10 years ago

Well, my six little azaleas have had a tough winter. I took inventory first a few weeks ago and noticed one that had the worst damage, a Lavender Bloom-A-Thon azalea, seemed like it was a gonner. Wilted leaves covered the plant, most were discolored brown and sickly looking. The heavy snows this year had also broken one of it's low and long branches off. The recent deluge of rain though seems to have given it a bit of a lift, but I am not optimistic. I have already planned to purchase a replacement for it.

Of the others, here are three that have varying degrees of damage, one of which looks almost the same as it did six months ago - bright happy green. The others have severe discoloration of the leaves from the outside in and I'm not sure if that is from wind or lack of water or sun, or some combination. I admit I thought with the close buildings on the South and West providing shade and wind-blocks, I did not need to provide further protection beyond mulching with pine bark and crumbled leaves a few inches deep. Live and learn. I just hope these pull through so I don't have to replace more than one plant (the one to be replaced I did not bother with a picture since it's very gone).

Comments (12)

Sponsored