SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmw21

Need evergreen shrub/tree suggestions

cmw21
14 years ago

I posted this on the shrub forum as well. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

In the photo, you'll see the 3 japonicas. This is off the left front corner of my house. I planted a diablo ninebark in between the far left and middle japonica.

I would really appreciate some suggestions for an evergreen to put behind the remaining japonicas. This would be directly to the left of the house, in full sun, all day. I am in southwestern pa, just east of pittsburgh.

I also need something that is deer resistant and tolerant to wind as this will likely exposed to wind during the winter.

I want something that will get some height to it. I know most evergreens will continously grow, I don't mind pruning it back. The greater concern is that it will be near the foundation. I initially considered a pyramidal shape but not sure if that will be too harsh as right off the corner of the house. So more cone like might be better? maybe more than one? I'm lost and such a newbie at this.

I really like the oak leaf holly. I considered the emerald green arb. but they are very common around here and was looking for something a little different. There were quite a few cedar varieties that looked nice. There are just some many options that I am getting myself overwhelmed and not getting much work done b/c I'm on the internet!

Thanks so much in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: front of house

Comments (5)