SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunsetsammy

Growers in the PNW let's talk taro!

sunsetsammy
16 years ago

I'm looking for anyone in the Pacific Northwest who is sucessfully growing and overwintering elephant ears or taro.

This definitely seems like a "different" plant to be growing in my area. There aren't many who really seem to know how to grow them properly here. Most of the info I can find seems to be geared for a different Zone 8 than I am living in.

The weather here is cool and damp for most of the year really. During the summer though Elephant ears grow like crazy. I grew several types in pots and in the ground last year and they were amazing by the end of the summer.

I tried overwintering my bulbs packed in peat in a cool dry area last winter. Didn't work out. All the bulbs rotted and turned to mush.

The only local nursery actually growing Elephant ears didn't have much luck with their bulbs either.

I know that for some, taro grows like a weed. For others its a food source and even a way of life. I would just like to grow some because I think it is an amazing and beautiful plant to have in the garden.

I am trying to grow some grocery store taro this spring and I wonder if there are any out there doing the same? I'm trying to start some bulbs in pots filled with peat and others with pine bark nuggets. So far I am only able to get roots forming off of the bulbs. I can't seem to get one to sprout before the rot sets in a turns the bulb to mush. I have the pots placed in a warm area and have even tried them in front of a small heater. Still nothing.

I've read alot of info on how to grow these bulbs but it doesn't seem to be working here. Is it just too early? Is it that the PNW is just too cool and damp to start these bulbs in the spring. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio