SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Shredded leaves and alfalfa for woodland?

linrose
16 years ago

Hello all -

I'm currently working on a project restoring a woodland area behind my house. We've cleared out the invasives and undesirable trees, shrubs and vines and have been trying to prepare the soil to establish native woodland plants. We have been adding shredded leaves to the area for the past three seasons. Our idea is to cover the area with a thick layer of shredded leaves from our property (and some neighbors) and add alfalfa pellets to get it started on decomposing quickly. We'd like to incorporate the mix into the native soil next spring and begin planting.

Do you think this is enough time to establish a good bed for the new plants or should we consider bringing in finished leaf compost to incorporate into the soil next spring and use the shredded leaf/alfalfa layer for mulch? Will the alfalfa actually speed up the composting process? How heat related is the process, is fall/winter too cold to see any real composting action in a sheet-type composting situation like this?

We have already established two large planting beds elsewhere using a sheet composting method, beginning in fall and planting in spring. Both have been successful. This situation is a bit different in that it is in an already established wooded area with little sunlight and lots of tree roots. It may not really matter.

What I really want to know is if alfalfa will help speed the decomposition of the leaves. I am so concerned with this wooded area because it will hold many special and rare native woodland plants that I want to survive.

Comments (12)