SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebonhawke_gw

New to Azaleas, Help for a tropical climate

Ebonhawke
12 years ago

Hi! I'm new to the forums but I have been reading a lot of posts about various techniques and such from such a helpful community so I work up my courage to ask some questions:

I live in the Philippines with a tropical climate. I recently bought a Japanese azalea with bright and vivid pink flowers and small leaves. I bought the smaller version since it is cheaper but the nursery has the mother plant on display and it is a about 5 1/2 feet tall. I washed off all of the soil around the roots when I got home and saw some vine weevil grubs inside, I am pretty sure I removed them all and managed to catch the 2 adult weevils while I was transplanting. I prepared a 26 inches diameter plastic pot about 20 inches tall and put on a neutral potting mix I bought from the same place. The mix is very well draining when I water it, it took less than a minute for the water to flow out beneath the pot. My tap water is alkaline with a ph of about 7.5 so I mix in some vinegar when I water it. At about a week since transplanting, some leaves exhibit brown tips and some got black spots which rapidly made the leaves turn yellow and fall off, as I near the 2nd week, the black spots became fewer and yellowing is almost gone, I got new shoots from everywhere but the problem is all the flower buds that existed turned brown and some fell off, is it normal or does it have something to do with the temperature where I live in, my garden is on a rooftop 5 storey building so most crawling pests won't reach my plants. I have 14 feet high walls all around so sun is also no problem, since I have a tropical climate, I have 32 degrees celsius daytime temp and about 27 degrees celsius nighttime temp. Very high humidity here so I use a drip system now to water it. I mulch with coffee grounds and put some slow release 14-14-14 fertilizer pellets to help with acidity, also thinking of buying some ammonium phosphate since I'm thinking of buying more azaleas if my prognosis is good. Is it normal to not get flowers in the first season? Or should I think of getting other kinds of plants and not azaleas. I'm sorry for the very lengthy post and I hope you guys can help me. Oh for added info, I also have Indian Ixora, Gomphrena Globosa, Agapanthus, Iris Pseudacorus and Fuchsia Plants in the garden. Can I raise azaleas in my area of should I forget about it?

I can provide pictures if you guys want to get a better idea of what environment I can work with.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz