SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chazparas

Wasps and Rhodies

chazparas
17 years ago

Hi all, first time for me on the Rhodo forum. I noticed this past year that two Rhodos on my property attract an unbelieveable amount of wasps over the summer. One is a real old variety at least 50 years and about 12' tall, nice pale pink flowers the other is a newer variety maybe 10 years old and huge clusters of vibrant pink flowers. The old one is in front of my house and the other is near a pool area (luckily no kids to worry about getting stung here) I've planted others far away from the house, but I'm really worried about the wasps, is there something I can spray on the plants to discourage them without harming the plants? There were literally hundreds of wasps on the smaller one and there was no nest to be found, even had an exterminator out to check, they were paper wasps and they were feeding on something on the rhodo. UGH, help, I really don't want to remove them but I found them by spraying the plants with a hose and the wasps rose in a cloud, most flew in the opposite direction, but I narrowly escaped getting stung. Sorry for such a long post here. Basic question, do you know of a spray that will keep the wasps away and not harm the Rhodo's or should I just have them removed?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!