SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Helping rescued rose and peony to survive...how?

I just dug up a rosebush and a peony from the family homestead, which is being sold on Friday. The garden had become overgrown by phlox and other plants gone wild. I couldn't get either of the plants dug up with a proper root ball, maybe because of the roots of all the other plants tieing up the dirt. They ended up looking like bare-root plants with large thick main roots but not much else. I put both of them in a bucket full of water when I got home. The rose had little top growth (maybe 3 canes in all) but all very leggy: but the roots were big. This one would have been maybe 15 years old, I remember my father buying it for my mother. The peonies are all very old: they were planted by my grandparents, the originals are at least 60 years old. I don't know anything about peonies (except that they don't like transplanting!), so I assume this one is a descendant of the originals, not the same plant (?). It is a dark rose pink old-fashioned kind.

What can I do to better their chances of survival? Should I cut back most of the leafy growth? Anything else?

Comments (10)