SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meemilie

Rose Hedge with Grandiflora roses?

meemilie
13 years ago

I have a low fence separating my yard from the neighbors behind us and wanted to plant a hedge to add some privacy (a new fence or addition to the old one are not options). After doing some research I decided on roses, however I have only grown miniatures and am not sure if the grandifloras I have chosen will work as I intend. I understand that I can plant them slightly closer together than normal to create a denser look while maintaining space in front and behind for air flow. I am also worried they may not be as 'private' during the winter months. I live in the Sacramento Valley (zone 9) so the temperature here rises to 100 degrees during the summer and stays very mild in the winter.

These are the roses I've chosen:

Ch-Ching

Wildfire

I was planning on grouping them by color in groups of 3...yellow, orange, yellow, orange, yellow. (I originally wanted to throw in a red Crimson Bouquet but I'm afraid they won't grow as tall as the other two, and three varieties may be a bit much). I was also planning on alyssum to be planted beneath the roses.

If anyone has any experience with grandifloras being used as a hedge, I would appreciate feedback on how well they work, or don't. Also, anyone experienced with these particular varieties in hot weather?

Thank you for your help and advice!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths