SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Advice for purchasing a fish tank please!

christy2828
12 years ago

Hi, I got a 55 gallon 5 years ago and loved it. I had it for 3 years and we had to move, so I sold it. Our new place had nowhere to put a fish tank - seriously I looked around the house monthly to find anywhere to put one, but it just wouldn't work. We've moved again (military, can you tell??) to NC. I have the perfect spot. I want bigger than a 55 gallon this time, I have room for a 75 gallon. I'd like the bow front, I really like the look of them. I also want a mahogany/cherry color to coincide with the furniture in the room - but I think I could also paint a black one (I seem to find a lot of that color) to a coordinating color for the decor. I want it completely closed off on the bottom, some seem to have open shelves and that is just an open invitation for my 2 year old boy to climb. Plus, I hate dusting!! How are the bow fronts compared to the rectangular? I assume the difference between glass and acrylic? I see another thread about scratching on acrylic, I really wouldn't like that. I don't want to buy brand new, I know people set up tanks and realize they no longer want to maintain them and sell them on craigslist. I no longer remember half the stuff I need, but most people sell their whole set ups. Is there brand specific components I should snatch up if possible, and some to avoid? Also, I am only interested in fresh water. I live 1.5 hours from the closest decent aquarium store, besides my local walmart and petsmart. Any advice would be appreciated :) Thanks so much, Christy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor