SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tess_2008

A to Z or what method for identifying by newbie?

tess_2008
15 years ago

I am new to identifying trees, but it is something that I would like to learn now that I have the time, especially for common trees to my area. I have an Oregon & Conn website Dax gave me for starters to look at. (Very interesting!)

Now, I'm wondering how to get started. If I have no idea (and I don't, other than some familiarity of what some oaks, some maples, and then some broad categories of conifers might be), what do I do? Say I take a picture of tree in question (and this week I have learned that it is apparently extremely important to get a close-up picture - a point missed by me prior to this), do I just go to the website, start at "A" and work my way to "Z," viewing pictures, until I find a hit? Is there a simpler way - and if there are obvious categories, will they soon become obvious to me? LOL.

Everybody search their memory banks and try to remember back when tree names were a "mystery" to you and you only knew about deciduous or evergreen, and that's not far from where I am.

Comments (7)