SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Taking the good with the bad

Sometimes it is hard not to be negative, not to pick faults out and be overly critical.

I had a lot on my plate over summer and didn't feel like doing much in the garden. Plus every time I went out there I saw all the things that needed to be done and all the things that were "wrong" and needed to be righted. Honestly it was kind of overwhelming and I couldn't go out and simply ENJOY it without finding something amiss that required immediate attention.

But recently I decided to just let it go. Sure there are weeds out the yin-yang. Sure there are things that should be cut back. Sure there are an a**-load of perennials crying for a good division. Sure there area areas that are no longer interesting since the summer bloomers are over. Sure there are areas and color schemes that don't 'work' anymore.

But I lightened up a bit and have been tackling one little project at a time when I can. I'm enjoying myself immensely now and I can see the good and the things I enjoy without worrying too much about the problematic areas.

What I am enjoying at this moment:

-The fact that there is still so much color. Spring will forever be my favorite season. Some years ago that showed too, as there was very little late summer/fall interest. Now there are tons of things still going and adding color.

-My mission to strategically place things where the ratty plants would be covered by the later bloomers is starting to come together nicely. Whoo-hoo!

-That taking the plunge and moving so much around is paying off. I'm liking the way it is looking now, plus most all of the transplants made it.

-The awesome variegated Arundo donax is taking off and I love how it looks where I plopped it.

-Two of the cyclamen coum I started from seed bloomed! Can I get a collective "Awwwww" please? LOL.

-The extra veggies the neighbors kindly let me plant in their garden are producing like mad.

-Nothing much croaked from my severe summer neglect!!

***So how about you guys? Look past all the faults you see now- what in your gardens are you enjoying?***
CMK

Comments (15)