SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djlen3

Pine Bark Mulch (Shredded) As Base For Container Plants

14 years ago

I have been reading much information on GardenWeb, mostly written by and to Al Tapla regarding the virtues of using Pine Bark as a base (essential ingredient) in making container/Bonsai soil.

I recently bought a couple of bags and was all set to start mixing and matching (depending on need) when I posted on another forum my intentions to use the stuff.

I was met with mixed results as to it's good side and also a possible down side of using it as a main ingredient. In fact I started quite a controversy on one of the Bonsai forums with this topic.

I am here to ask for some feedback on this subject. I need to know once and for all whether it is safe to use.

Some say unless it's composted and/or aged there are toxins in it, possibly fungus spores and all kinds of elements that I don't want in my container soil. Also that the resins in pine bark cause the leaching out of nitrogen from the soil as it breaks down over time.

Can someone help me to resolve this issue so that I can go forward with using it??!!??

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Len

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH