SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leucomelas

Are all african violets created equal?

leucomelas
18 years ago

My experience to date has been no.

I was wondering if anyone has observed different performances among different varieties of african violets given the same growing conditions.

I planted Ness's Orange Pekoe, The Alps (sorano), Music Box Dancer, Ma's Winter Moon all around the same time. To give you an idea of conditions, I grow under 4 48" light bulbs, about 12-15" away.

I had heard from other growers that The Alps was not a vigorous performer, but it surprised me with really the first place finish amongst the four varieties. It's had tons of flowers and I had to repot the plant after about 3 months, it grew so big. This is my favorite of the four.

Ness's Orange Pekoe - the plant grew moderately. It sent up a few large, highly ruffled, longlasting blooms, but not heavy sprays.

Music Box Dancer - looked so beautiful in the pictures. I have to say that it didn't quite live up to the advertisement. For my first flush, I got 4-5 of these large buds, really thick substance. They never really opened up. The plant grew moderately. The leaves are kind of funny looking. Too much light?

Ma's Winter Moon - kind of disappointing for me. No variegation. Slow grower. Really sparse with the bloom production and the blooms produced have small thin white petals with a greyish smear. The plant seems to rebounding a little now with the arrival of cooler weather. I'm hoping that as the plant gets stronger, I see improved bloom production. My sickly specimen doesn't look anything like the picture.

Just curious if people have encountered similar experiences with different varieties.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath